Civil Modern society Group Alliance for Science Ghana is inquiring the governing administration as a matter of urgency to place in spot measures to make certain food security and sustainability through the interval of this fatal pandemic outbreak across the world.
Researchers and farmers want to see speedy motion to retain Ghanaians foodstuff protected in these striving situations. “Let us not fail to remember that foods is an critical ingredient of our day by day lives if we can be capable to conquer this virus. A great immune technique is the surest bet to recovering in situation of an an infection and absolutely nothing boosts the immune procedure of human beings improved than well balanced, superior and risk-free food items. It is highly doable that food items and nutritional associated problems could cause far more illness and deaths in these hard periods than the genuine virus by itself if treatment is not taken” they stated.
They are worried that the authorities has not introduced any ideas or approaches of growing foodstuff manufacturing in these hard situations and as to even if we have much more food to feed the nation.
“The planet is sitting on the edge now as a end result of the spread of the Coronavirus (Covid – 19), generating challenging times for all nations around the world. Covid-19 has killed much more than 14,704 individuals globe more than with additional than 339,697 situations recorded. In Ghana, there are 24 cases and 1 death” they added.
The group says directives supplied by the President and measures becoming taken by the governing administration as a total are needed in preventing the disorder.
Underneath is the complete statement
Ghana requires a “Covid-19 Emergency Food stuff Safety Preparedness Plan”
The entire world is sitting down on the edge now as a result of the spread of the Coronavirus (Covid – 19), generating complicated times for all nations. Covid-19 has killed additional than 14,704 individuals world over with a lot more than 339,697 situations recorded. In Ghana, there are 24 cases and 1 dying.
As science persons, we imagine the directives presented by the President and actions remaining taken by the federal government as a total are vital for fighting the illness. We also commend the federal government for its sort consideration and investments in the wellness sector which seems the most essential sector in these moments.
On the other hand, we think it will also be prudent if the point out took a glimpse at other significant sectors that would similarly participate in vital roles in these tough periods. The agricultural sector stands out in this.
The tough actuality struggling with us all is that Ghana is nearly sitting down on a meals safety time bomb that some awareness demands to be paid out to. Ghana has made a lot of development in guaranteeing food items for all in excess of the past couple of several years but this virus threatens to erode the significant gains that have been manufactured.
The outcome of the latest see issued by the Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) very last Friday, directing closure of all marketplaces in the capital on March 23 for a fumigation training has despatched us all a clear warning that our foods provide in these complicated moments is in problems.
Markets have recorded higher quantities of individuals. Unscrupulous traders have however taken edge of the predicament and amplified the costs of some food items things like cereals, veggies, tuber crops, fruits, and eggs. Customers show up not to have a decision but to acquire at the hiked selling prices to get enough to feed themselves and their families. The circumstance will only get worse if the situation persists.
In these complicated moments, Ghanaians need to have to hear from the Ministry of Meals and Agriculture on what it’s “Covid-19 Unexpected emergency Food items Security Preparedness Plan” is. This strategy need to plainly spell out details of
– The quantum of readily available meals in inventory at the Ghana Buffer Inventory Firm and personal warehouses.
– A strategy to release additional food items into the program based on needs in unique towns at certain details in time.
– A technique to ensure prices of foods do not spiral out of control and to keep away from hoarding.
– A approach to ramp up food stuff creation in these periods when some farmers are not likely out to the fields to harvest and traders are not transporting items mainly because people today are staying dwelling.
– Safety mechanisms to ensure the foods supply methods do not grow to be a resource of distribute for the Coronavirus across the region as food items is moved from one place to another.
– A collaborative tactic among the distinct players in the foods stability value chain that assures food source does not cut even in instances of a possible lockdown, and that it would be attainable to get food delivered to the properties of persons even if they are compelled into quarantine or isolation.
– A technique on how Ghana will substitute for the more than US$100 million worthy of of food items we import into the place on regular basis now that we simply cannot count on international locations from which we import big agricultural products this sort of as rice, wheat, and poultry.
– A approach to raise investments in regional agriculture, business farming and greenhouse set-ups and operations for improved output, advertising and marketing, and storage.
– A system to improve postharvest operations and technologies, as nicely as and storage facilities to keep food items for upcoming use.
– A system by the Ministry of Food and Agriculture to improve farmer access to planting components, fertilizers, farm equipment as properly as protecting gears.
– A clear policy path on important agricultural innovations this sort of as genetic engineering and genome modifying which has the probable of encouraging develop crops which are significant yielding, early maturing, drought-tolerant, disease and pest resistance, among the others for the benefit of Ghanaians.
We have to have to see action to continue to keep Ghanaians meals protected in these periods. Allow us not overlook that food is an crucial part of our daily lives if we can be capable to prevail over this virus. A good immune method is the surest wager to recovering in case of an infection and very little boosts the immune system of human beings superior than well balanced, great and safe food items.
It is highly possible that meals and dietary related problems could bring about additional illness and fatalities in these difficult times than the real virus itself if treatment is not taken. The Ministry of Foods and Agriculture really should act now.
Farmer Evans Okomeng
Dennis Baffuor – Awuah
For Group Alliance for Science Ghana (https://allianceforsciencegh.org)